Monday, April 8, 2013

Ch-ch-ch-ch-CHANGES


"Ch-ch-ch-ch-CHANGES. 
Turn and face the strange, ch-ch-changes....
Just gonna have to be a different (wo)man. 
Time may change me. But I can´t trace time..." 
-David Bowie

Our district
Yup. How crazy? I can´t believe that´s how fast a transfer is. This mission is going to fly...I know it. Time is such a crazy concept.

This week was really good. Lots of parties and family home evenings for Hermana Garcia. She left yesterday and I am now in a trio with Hermana Gatica and Hermana Agle (two Hermanas we have worked really close with this transfer). They slept at our house last night and I offered my bed to Hermana Gatica. I slept on the floor and woke up to a pretty strong EARTHQUAKE! Cool. huh. We get them quite a bit here...but this one was definitely the strongest. Cool. cool. 
Hermana Garcia and me right before I took her to the bus station. We live in a CASTLE, cool huh?

We find out changes tomorrow. I´ll let you know next week all about my new companion! RIP Hermana Garcia. That girl seriously was amazing and I am so grateful to have had such a great trainer. I am now 2 for 2 on awesome companions. She has been in this area for 6 months so everyone here is going to miss her. I am nervous to have to teach my new trainer where everyone lives, where everything is, etc. So give me an extra prayer, yeah? I am hoping for a Latina this next change so that my Spanish can improve MAS! YEAH.

Because of all the parties, helping Hermana Garcia get ready to go home and conference, we
didn´t have many lessons. Just know everyone is doing great. Nothing crazy happened this week. I´ll give you an update on everyone next week after the craziness of changes settles down....

All of my closest friends here in Chile.  I know they will take care of me while I´m here in La Serena.

I hope all of you enjoyed conference as much as I did. Why was I never this stoked on it before my mission? I couldn´t take enough notes and kept thinking "I seriously would fall asleep ALL the TIME watching conference at home. HOW?!" But then, of course, I thought about how beautifully comfortable our couches are and thought, "Oh, yeah :/ that´s how". 

Conference is a bit different when you´re on the mission. You have lots of investigators to think about and it´s a great time to receive personal revelation. It was a nice spiritual, English vacation that was much needed. My favorite quote from the whole conference was, "This isn´t missionary work....this is missionary FUN!" :/  Ooooh no. I died laughing. I thought, "Great. this is almost as bad as:  :D I AM A MORMON! I KNOW IT I LOVE IT I LIVE IT :D   I´m going to need you to make me a shirt with both those slogans - NOT!.....But seriously....Conference. SO MANY AMAZING TALKS.

I felt like a majority of the talks that were given had to do with 3 things: Missionary work, How to proceed in difficult times and Making sure we have a firm, faithful foundation in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I kept thinking about certain family members who are struggling. Some of you who are reading this may have addictions, dealing with a family member who has an addiction, just finalized a divorce, dealing with depression, or simply feel lonely, lost and confused. I´m not going to go through and quote everyone who said all the things I´m going to refer to-but just know these are personal notes/feelings, quotes that I took from conference and my way of telling all of my friends and family that I love them dearly.

I know that when we center our lives on Jesus Christ, we will always be able to find peace and refuge. Following Christ is a way of life- at all times and in all places. Peace comes from knowing that our Savior knows of our faith. God promises the hope of His light when we seek Him through scripture study, daily prayer, actively participating in church and HELPING those around you. 

I loved how many of the speakers talked about being selfless, the importance of serving others and the blessings that come when we are willing to give of ourselves. I´ve never experienced so much peace and happiness than when I´ve found time to make another person happy.  Service is the medicine for selfishness. Selfishness is the root to great evil. When we serve unselfishly, we have expanded power and ability from the Lord. I know that we can depend on the Lord to draw back lost loved ones as we serve him and serve those around us. As you give service unto those in need, His arms will be stretched out with yours. Everyone wants to feel love and accepted- And everyone DESERVES to be loved and accepted-so treat others the way YOU would want to be treated.

I am so thankful for the power of the priesthood and the unlimited divine potential it brings. How incredible is it that we have the same power here on earth today that created THE UNIVERSE! HOW COOL IS THAT! We have it HERE. It´s in our homes and many of you reading this have the ability to use that power! I know that the power of the priesthood is vital and all of you who are struggling, DON´T be shy! It´s is okay to ask for help when you need it. Ask for a priesthood blessing and HAVE FAITH in it´s power.

Finally, trust in the Lord and his timing. That is definitely something I´ve had to learn throughout my life. Many times I have asked the questions "Why? Why me? Why does this have to happen right now?" I know how discouraging it can be when we are simply trying are very hardest and things don´t go the way we want them. Especially here in the mission field. There is nothing more to say than TRUST IN HIS TIMING. Hermana Garcia shared Ecclesiastes chapter 3 with me on March 8, 2013--probably the hardest day of my mission so far..."To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the Heaven...He hath made every thing beautiful in his time...". (This is such a beautiful chapter. ALL of you should read it....definitely one of my favs). This life is about taking one consistent step at a time and remembering that God truly knows what is best for us. Let us have patience with ourselves and the ones that we love. Stay on the Lord´s side and you will win every time!

People can change. Recognize the good in others, not their stains. We know that there is darkness in this life-so turn your heart to the Lord, explain how you are feeling and ask for the strength that your eyes can be opened to His light! Have faith! Be good! I know, with my entire heart, that the atonement is real. I am so thankful for our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and his sacrifice. It has been such a blessing to experience that here in Chile. I´ve loved the past couple of weeks with Easter and Conference. I am constantly overwhelmed by my Heavenly Father's love, his plan for us, and can´t WAIT to raise a family of my own. I can´t tell you how many times I thought about our family as I watched conference and how grateful I am for such amazing parents who raised me so well. I know I only brought Hell for so many years--but I will forever be grateful for parents who continued to be faithful in this gospel. I know that is the reason I am where I am today. So thank you :) 

Family, extended family, friends--I love all of you dearly! You are all in my prayers and I am thankful for your love and support! I love being here in Chile and all that I learn every day.

The church is true. The Book of Mormon is true (READ IT EVERY DAY AND EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY. I PROMISE.) Stay strong and carry on!

All my love,
Hermana Pendleton

Hermana Garcia, Angela and me



No comments:

Post a Comment