Monday, March 3, 2014

...and at once I knew I was not magnificent‏




I don't really know how to start out this email. Especially after having received so many "wow you're so wonderful!" replies from last week.
 
maybe I'm not so wonderful as you all thought. Well.  no. that was dumb to say. But I'm just reeeeeeeaaaallly confused.
 
I probably should have given it more than 24 hours for thought, prayer and fasting on the August decision before writing an "I'M INVINCIBLE" email to the world. When president called me into his office last Monday, logically, the thought of staying until August made sense. I didn't have school, work or anything to come home to. I LOVE being here in California and this mission is a dream. What an opportunity to stay a bit longer. I thought that by the President asking me, that was the Lord's way of asking me as well. After I sent that email last week, I felt so sick. I didn't know why because I felt so okay about staying. I decided that it would definitely need to become a matter of MORE prayer and that fasting was necessary. All week, I kept praying to see if I should stay until August but never did I feel good about it. It kept me up real late and because the thought never really left my mind, I'd wake up at about 5 and just feel sick. What a frustrating situation, to be willing to stay, but to not feel good about it. This Sunday, for my fast, I decided to ask the other question. "Heavenly Father, should I stick to the original plan and go home in June?" All day, I felt so much peace. I continued to pray throughout my fast and just felt good.
 
So. Now what? I don't know what to do. What I said in my email last week still stands true. "Not as I will, but as thou wilt" ....I am more than willing to stay until August. Like I said, logically, it felt good because it made sense. I just want to do what Heavenly Father needs me to do. I'm just going to continue fasting and praying about it. Whatever I decide to do, I want to make sure it's His plan. Not mine. 
 
This week was LONG though. I think we are all getting back on our feet though. My companion seems to be getting the hang of everything a little bit better. She seems happier and has more of a desire to work hard and go out everyday. We were able to get her into a counselor this week and I think that really boost up her energy. I'm so proud of her and love making sure she's okay. She is going to become the best missionary! I'm proud of my baby girl :)
 

I want to make a shout out to Hermana Barnes this week. I am so happy this girl stayed another change and is still in our district. We are becoming veddy veddy close and love each other dearly. If I ever decide to move to Provo for a third time, I'll definitely be living with this hottie. We got to do exchanges this last week and we were killing it. It felt good to just get out and work hard again. She shared her life story with me and what got her here in the mission. She is invincible. Love that little lady (really though. she is barely 5 feet)
 
Last week, we were able to put a date for Socorro's baptism...April 12. Her brother is LDS and lives in Arizona. He comes to California every three months for work and she thought that was about the time he'd be here next. We told her that she really needed to talk to him ASAP so that we could start planning her big day out. She was really wanting to make it a surprise for him but she realized it was necessary to call him and get an exact date. She wasn't able to make it to church on Sunday so I called her that evening to make sure everything was okay. She was SO excited to talk to us. She was really sick and hadn't been able to get herself out of bed for church BUT she had just gotten off the phone with her brother. When she explained that she was finally planning on getting baptized and wanted him there all he could say was "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! I'll fly out any day to come to your baptism!" So, she wants to be baptized March 15th!!! Wahoo! We are so excited for her! After 5 years of listening to the missionaries, she is so ready!!! I feel so blessed that I get to be here for her big day!
 
We are also working a lot with Lisa (35, single, half Latina). She lives with Ofilia, her mama, who the missionaries originally started teaching. Lisa moved back home with her mom about a month ago and we've been teaching her ever since. We weren't sure if she was ever going to progress but we finally got her to commit to church this next Sunday. She has had some pretty bad experiences with other churches in the past and doesn't feel she needs to go to church to have a relationship with God. Please, please pray for her. She is ready!
 
We are still without a car so we are doing lots and lots of walking. It was pretty crazy this weekend. It rained....and rained.....and rained....we were soaked. But, I loved it :) The sun is now shining again and we love the beautiful weather here!
 
Alrighty. I love you all. I'm not sure what's up about when I'm coming home. But, for now, I'm happy to be here. Chula Vista really is the promised land.
 
Mama. you are the hottest mom Cancun has ever seen!....and dad, I bet you were the hottest bishop down there as well! Thanks for the pictures! I love you all!
 
Love, Hermana Pendleton
 

No comments:

Post a Comment