Monday, September 30, 2013

...So tell that someone that you love, the things you're thinking of, if tomorrow never comes. ~ Garth Brooks


To preface Katie's email this week, we would like to share with you 
some background that is significant in relation to Katie's letter.  
Eleven years ago, Katie's father, Scott Pendleton, tragically passed away. 


Scott was born on January 23, 1960, to Alan and Beverly Pendleton and was raised in Bountiful, Utah.  All that knew Scott enjoyed his uncanny sense of humor and quick wit.  He had many talents and excelled both at academics and sports.  Scott graduated Summa Cum Laude from Brigham Young University; where he met Dianna Woodland.  They were married in the Salt Lake Temple and were blessed with two children, Jeremy and Katie.  Scott fulfilled his dream of earning an MBA from Harvard.  However, he was the first to acknowledge that his greatest accomplishment and most valued treasures in life were his children.

Scott passed away on September 29, 2002.  He was a gifted man who loved the Savior and the gospel.  To this day, his influence continues to be an important part of his children's lives. 



September 30, 2013 letter from Hermana Katherine Pendleton:

Hello my dear friends and family,

I am wanting to share a cool experience for my email this week. It probably won't be very long because I have to go back to the doctor in just a bit...but this is something super special that happened to me this week.

For those of you who don't know, I have been consistently sick my entire mission. Stomach problems, vomiting, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, the list goes on. Just when one thing starts to get better, I am blessed with something else. I could go into detail with what I am dealing with right now, but I will save you all from unpleasant images and unwanted information. I'll just simply say, I spent three days in the hospital this week, trying to get back to a healthy state.

Luckily, I have been blessed and get to have one more change with Hermana Castleton! This girl has really helped to keep my spirits high, and has all the patience in the world to stay with me and take me to and from the doctor almost everyday. (I have another doctor's appointment today and Wednesday.)

On Friday morning, I don't know why, but I just really wished that I could sit down and talk to Daddy Scott about what was going on. It's one thing to be sick and not feel good, but when you're sick and in the mission, all you want is a parent to take care of you. This whole time, Mama, I've wished it was you. But Friday morning, I could have used a good Daddy Scott joke. As Hermana Castleton and I were walking to lunch, I told her, "I would never wish to have my dad here on earth, after all that he went through...but for some reason, I just really want to talk to him about all that is happening." We arrived at our lunch appointment without time for her to respond.

Even though I was feeling sad, I was happy we were able to have lunch with our Branch President, President Ortega, (aka, my dad here in Coquimbo). He knows about all that is going on with my health and is always calling and checking up on me to make sure everything is okay. He asked if he could give me a priesthood blessing and I gladly accepted. As he put his hands on my head, I immediately could not only feel his loving hands, but also Daddy Scott's. I know without a shadow of a doubt that Dad was there, with his hands on my head, present for this blessing. 

As President Ortega started to give me the blessing, I couldn't believe the things he was saying . Not only was he blessing my physical health, but my mental health. As if he knew all that I have been through throughout my life. He was saying things that I knew I had never shared with him before. It was all perfect and we were all in tears. Never, have I felt the spirit so strong in my entire mission.

I know I am being watched over and that blessing was just what I needed to help me pick myself back up. The power of the priesthood is real. I know that our Heavenly Father is very aware of all that we are going through and he knows exactly what we need. I love being a missionary. I don't care if I have to be sick for the rest of my mission, I love this work and will always be willing to work through my trials. 

Hermana Castleton con Maria y Guillermo!
I was so happy to receive so many wonderful emails this week! Thank you all for the update in Crazy-ville! TayHermana Castleton and I are dying over how pretty you looked for Homecoming! Becca and Cam, thanks for your letters :) Cam, so proud of you for accepting the challenge to bear your testimony. Tay and Becca, there is always next month! Dad, your message was beautiful and got me even more pumped for General Conference! Seriously, G. C. is like Christmas in the mission! 

Okay, I love you all so very much! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Keep strong and carry on!

Love, 
Hermana Pendleton

No comments:

Post a Comment