Monday, July 1, 2013

O be wise, what more can I say?



Our District

Deciding to serve a mission is like cliff diving without looking over the edge first to make sure you know where you are, all conditions are clear and you´re sure to have a positive experience.  Once you decide to serve and submit your papers, or jump off the cliff without looking, you must accept whatever comes your way...no turning back.

"Therefore, O ye that dive in the water of the unknown, see that ye hope to endure whatever is at the bottom with all your heart, might, mind and strengeth, that ye may land clearly into the water successfuly in hopes that it´s not your last day..."

In the mission, you can´t choose where you serve, your conditions; the weather, your copmanion, the dcidions of your investigators...sometimes there are branches you´ll hit, rocks at the bottom, a feeling of "Why the crap did I ever think it was a good idea to jump?"...sometimes things will be clear and positive, a feeling of "I could do this jump over and over again..."

Wether your experience is rocky or cear....you must deal with all conditions and do your best to come up out of the water alive. There are days in the mission where I feel like I jumped into a lake of fire and brimstone with endless tourment (...okay, maybe that´s a bit over exaggerated...) but also I have days where I feel like I could serve for the rest of my life.  This week was a bit of both- regardless of the day, I went to bed every night having to read 1 Nephi 3:7 and during the day, considering Nephi´s later advice, "...and I was lead by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do..."

I am just trying to simply learn to listen to the Spirit about which cliff I should jump off.



We had to a lot of work this week in the freezing, windy, rainy weather while trying to hike up these blasted steep hills. I felt like I was trying to walk upstream with all the water rushing down on us... I tell you, Valapraiso will be the death of me. My back hurts, my legs hurt, my butt hurts, everything hurts....But I think I am losing some weight, so I won´t complain too much about the pain :)

Mauricio is perfect! He is another Nibaldo. In our last lesson, he begged that we stay and read "just one more chapter!" with him. He is killing it with the English as well! What I don´t understand is how we will have AMAZING lessons the night before Sunday, and then all the sudden, they don´t show up to church. Ughh..Chileans are great at making commitments....keeping them is a whole other story.
Luckily (and Unfortunantly), Daniel, showed up for church on Sunday!....with a terrible hangover :/ He told us he had gone to Viña the night before for a fiesta and didn´t get home until 7:30 in the morning. He had to get up and go to the bathroom three times during Sacrament Meeting so he could puke. Ughhh.....I am telling you....Chileans.....yeah.
Yesterday, Alejandro was confirmed and is seriously a different person! He is glowing and smiling all the time! So cool to see the conversion in someone. It makes the mission totally worth it to help someone come unto Christ and really see them change their lives for the better.



The highlight of my week was a Noche de Hogar (FHE) we had with two Hermanas in the ward. We made brownies and pancakes and had an american night! They are one of my favorites in the ward. The message that they prepared for us was in English and I felt right at home :)

We find out about changes Wednesday morning! I am guessing I will stay here in Valpraiso and be training. There are 71 Hermanas right now in the mission and we are receiving 7 more this week. With my luck thus far in the mission, I will probably be one of the lucky ones and get put with one of those 7.....I am okay to train, all I ask is that they are latina, por favor! I will die if I get a brand new grina who knows nooo español :/ (..."I will go I will do....I will go I will do.....") 

I can´t believe how hot it is at home! This week was freezing but we woke up this morning and the sun was shining and it feel like a nice summer day! The weather in Valparaiso is the best weather in all of our mission. It has it´s rainy, freezing moments where I seriously want to die, but it´s way better than being inland where it´s feezing for 3 or 4 months straight. I am praying I can stay here at least one more change to enjoy the sunny days during the winter. This morning, when I wrote 1 Julio 2013, I about died at how fast time is flying. I am doing my best to not think about all the fun 4th of July activities going on at home. With the changes that they made in the MTC, Spanish speaking missionaries are only 6 weeks and not 9 weeks, I think I´ll be coming home about 4 weeks early....which means I will be home for 4th of July next year! Wahoo! Enjoy my favorite holiday for me this year!

Okay, I think that´s about it for this week. I am doing okay and feeling a bit better health-wise. Tay tay, I am happy you are liking your new job! I would kill for some Zupas!  Eat a berry salad and tortilla soup for me :)

You are all beautiful and I love you! 

All my love,
Katherine Pendleton
xoxo

Finally, some subway! WAHOO #healthyfoodrocksbutthissubwaystillkindasuckedbutohwell



No comments:

Post a Comment