Thursday, January 31, 2013

MTC - Week 3 & Birthday


AAAHHH Mi Familia :) I love all of you.
This week has definitely been a good one. I really enjoy the MTC and wish that I would be here for another 12 weeks. Everyone tells me that by the time my 6 weeks is up, I'll be saying otherwise, but I would love to work on my Spanish until I feel comfortable enough to use it in another freaking country.
Yes, of course learning a new language in 6 weeks is difficult, but looking back at the last two weeks, I can truly testify that the gift of tongues is real. That's not to say I don't make my mistakes--for example-- in just one lesson with my investigator this week I said:
"Creo en Dios?" (Do I believe in God?......I was trying to ask, Do YOU believe in God?
"Jesucristo es mi amor!" (which really means Jesus Christ is my love!)
and my personal favorite,
"Jesucristo puede pardonar nuestro pescados" (Jesus Christ can take away our fish.  I was trying to say, Jesus Christ can take away our sins.)
I'd definitely say that conjugating verbs is the thing that is the hardest for me. For those of you who have learned Spanish, you know what I'm taking about when I say it's difficult to remember all the regular and irregular verbs. It's all just memorization. But it's definitely coming along.



Thank you SO much for my birthday package! I know you put a lot of time and effort into putting that together. You're great, Mama! I LOVE the necklace and all the Sisters have asked to borrow my shirt. I laughed when I opened up the straightener because of the letter I had just sent you about sending mine home. I'll decided what I'm going to do with the blow dryer before I leave. Birthday's in the MTC are great. Hermana Smith's mama sent me diet coke, Brad (from my slc singles ward) sent me diet coke, two missionaries (who are waiting for visas but go out and proselyte here in Provo) brought me back diet coke and Vickie sent me a great package filled with pretzel rollo bites :) and I got over 20 dear elders, letters and emails wishing me a happy birthday! I definitely feel loved and supported by so many wonderful people.
As you know, I need a way to keep my diet cokes cold. If you remember, I'd always put them in the freezer for a bit so they could get extra icy and delicious. So, I've made big snow banks and buried my diet cokes all over the MTC. It's hilarious to see people's reactions when they see me digging around in the snow, only to pull out a heaven sent DC.
I made my companion laugh so hard she peed her pants. It was great.



I am definitely happy here and find that it's pretty easy for me to stay motivated and work hard. I definitely have my moments where I get a bit discouraged or frustrated that things aren't coming as quickly as I want them too. But it teaches me to be humble and this is NOT my mission--but what I'm doing is 100% for the Lord and the people he wants me to come in contact with. 


"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other." -Spencer W. Kimball

I'd say that I have the best district in the entire MTC. We are all BEST friends. They definitely get me through my day and help me keep my chin up. We are all SO different, and yet we get along so well. 


I started writing a book called '26.2 As a Missionary'. I'll probably change the name....but so far so good. I hardly have any time to write so I don't have much. It'll be my project when I get home to finish it. I think you'll really like it.
I know this is long but I have a story to share before I go...
On Tuesday, Hermana Smith and I got a new "investigator" (our teacher Hermana Thomas) who supposedly hated God, didn't want the church, doesn't love her husband-OR-her child, doesn't get the point of life, doesn't care if she sins, etc. That lesson SUCKED (it was the same lesson where I said 'God can take away all of our fish...she didn't think that was very funny). I left the lesson feeling like I couldn't speak Spanish, I didn't know how to teach the gospel, Hermana Smith and I didn't work very well together in that situation....it was just bad. 

I had a bad attitude for the rest of the night and even when I woke up Wednesday morning. We had personal study first thing that morning and I usually study my scriptures. I said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father if he would help me to pick myself back up and let the positive side of Kath come out again. Immediately after my prayer, I felt like I needed to get on lds.org (sometimes I get on there to read conference talks, listen to church music, etc.) so I did. On the homepage, it had a link to President Monson's article in this months copy of The Liahona called "Living the Abundant Life". Go and read it. It was a direct answer to my prayer. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes from the article...
"The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives." -William James

"Courage is required to make an initial thrust towards one's coveted goal, but even greater courage is called for when one stumbles and must make a second effort to achieve it."

"Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow'".

Yo se que la iglesia es verdado. I know that this church is true. I love being a missionary and the opportunity to be out here, serving The Lord and taking care of those around me. Love and serve those around you. That's what this church is about.
I'm thankful for all of you and the love that you show me! You are all beautiful people and I'm happy I get to spend the rest of eternity with you :)
All my love,

Hermana Pendleton




No comments:

Post a Comment